Upper-Junior Course/Parent Tutorial (10-12 yrs), $165 - No Prerequisite
The child and parent take this course together. This is a reading and discussion course. Animal themed literature is so fun and meaningful, and we can so often relate to the charming and poignant stories of our furry or feathered friends. A delightful reading list will engage the child with quality writing and will form an interesting foundation for taking discussion deeper than mere comprehension.
- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Beautiful Joe by Margaret Marshall Saunders* (make sure of the edition)
(We will provide an online copy of Beautiful Joe to registered students, but it is best to have the hard copy. See note below.)
- The 101 Dalmatians by Dodie Smith
- Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
- Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry
- The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith
- Bonny's Big Day and Only One Woof by James Herriot (They are available individually or both are found in James Herriot's "Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children".)
*One edition of Beautiful Joe we found, while the text was the original, included footnotes and an introduction which expounded modern interpretation. This edition, edited by Keridiana Chez and published by broadview editions, is not recommended. Also note that Beautiful Joe went through many revisions during the time of the World Wars. To ensure that you have the original edition we suggest the book published by Formac Publishing Company Limited with an introduction by Gwendolyn Davies.