Starting After September 30
WISDOM exists to support traditional (parent-directed) home schooling. Your family decides what is taught, how it is taught and when it is taught.
After the funding count date of September 30, not all schools make themselves available to un-funded students. What are your options?
- Enroll with your resident school board. They are legally obligated to facilitate you if you provide them with Notification.
- Notify directly with Alberta Education, using this form. There are no facilitator visits, no evaluations, and no funding, and the option is available year round.
- Notify an associate board or associate private school. Some will accept mid-year transfers and some will not. Most will charge an enrollment fee.
The Gilbertine Institute supervises and supports home education programs under the banner of WISDOM Home Schooling. We will accept a limited number of mid-year transfers on a case-by-case basis. We do not charge a fee, but do appreciate those families who make a donation to help offset our costs.
To join us:
- Please submit one Family Form for your family
- Submit a Home Education Notification Form for each child
- Submit a copy of your child's birth certificate (or Canadian passport). Enrollment is not possible without valid ID. Upload via secure uploader.
- Create an Education Program Plan for each child. This is your most important document, as it defines your home education program and assures your authority.
Once we have received your notification we will contact you to verify that all has been received. We are happy to help you make the transition to home education with WISDOM.
Home School with WISDOM
Who is WISDOM? How did we begin? What do we stand for? What do we have to offer your family?
Need to know more? Click through the About section above.
If you're ready to join us for the 2017-2018 school year, we look forward to serving you. While we accept families throughout the year, the funding deadline is September 30, and we prefer to have all paperwork processed before August 31.
Deadlines & Summertime
This will enable us to move that funding to the next fiscal year, and allow you to use it in the Fall.
The WISDOM office will be closed for the first week of July, giving the team a chance to get away with their families for some much-needed time off. We look forward to serving you upon our return.
If you're planning to join us for the Fall and have not yet completed a Notification Form, please do so at your earliest convenience. You may also use this page to upload your child's Birth Certificate or Passport, which will allow it to be encrypted and sent securely. Part of completing your notification is also creating an Education Program Plan. These are due by August 30, please (and earlier is truly appreciated). We've included helpful how-to videos for the completion of your notification form and your plan.
Page 1 of 2